Built in 1909, it is fondly known by the locals as the "Penny Factory," a nod to its roots as the home of the American Bank Note Company, a currency printing facility, this historic structure sits prominently on a hill with extraordinary views of Manhattan.
Today the four building 405,000 square foot complex is home to variety (including Congressman Jose Serrano), civic and private sector tenants, office tenants, non-for profit organizations and the arts community. Currently, a site fronting the outdoor plaza is available for the construction of a fifth building to provide supporting food and retail services to the expanding building BankNote Community.
Concrete Plant Park was home to working concrete batch mix plant sitting on the western bank of the Bronx River. According to a report prepared by Public Archaeology Facility at SUNY Binghamton, cement manufacturing began at the site after 1945 and ran until 1987. The Transit Mix Concrete Cooperation built the silos, hoppers, and conveyor structures that still stand at Concrete Park today as a reminder of the park's industrial history.
Once underdeveloped, this new waterfront park completed in September 2009 and officially opened to the public October 30th now contains facilities supporting the linking excisiting and planned mulit-use pedestrian greenways with offer off-road, on road bicycle pedestrian route. Construction of a new conoe/kayak launch provides an access point to the Bronx River Corridor along the park's shoreline. The site was also enhanced through the creation of the waterfront promenade, a reading circle and inviting park entrances at Westchester avenue and Brukner Boulevard.